Friday, November 2, 2012

Top 10 things I've learned about Photography

You know this year has been a whirl wind roller coaster ride... wait, wait, wait, back the bus up... does that even make any sense? Silly me, I think that I just put two saying together to make it a new one but
you get the point right? It has been a crazy learning and growing experience. So tonight I finished my editing quota (yes I have a quota of edits per night) and thought I'd take the time to share what I've learned about my own personal photography world. Some of this will make perfect sense to those who are into photography, others I hope you can relate and apply this to your own life.

I, by no means would call myself an expert at photography. I rarely call myself a professional.... I can list a whole ton of people I would call professional, but me? nah. Im just a dreamer. A laughter lover. A life experiencer....who happens to have a camera in her hand. I wasnt even going to write this up, but thought, hey, what the heck if it can help one person or encourage one person than it was worth it. So here it is.... drum roll please.... Chris Nelson's top 10 things I've learned about photography this year.

1. Shoot RAW

For the first year of my real photography endeavors I shot in JPEG because really that is all I knew how to do. My friend Marisa McBride of Marisa McBride Photography had been mentioning that I should try out RAW, but I was actually really scared of screwing up my photos if I shot in RAW. But one day I grew some cajones and did it. And man that was one of the best decisions in my photography life. You have so much more control over your image! Underexposed? Not a problem! Not crisp enough? No biggie! Other than taking up a ton of memory space, it really is not that scary and super easy to do. I encourage you to shoot RAW.

2. Shoot in Manual Mode

This is single handedly the most significant change I made that improved the look of my images. You are in total control of how you want your image to turn out. When I first started using my first camera I went from Auto then felt more gutsy and went to Av mode. In the Av mode, all I had to do was set my aperture which to me was easy. If you are scared to go full M mode then taking small steps starting with Av or Tv mode to get down aperture or shutter speed first maybe a good start. When I noticed I was not getting what I wanted in my images I went to manual. I'm not going to lie, if you don't know about shutter speed or aperture or ISO, then it can be difficult, but it is for sure something that will change the way your images look. If you don't know what ISO or Shutter speed or Aperture are then I suggest you go on youtube. This brings me to #3.

3. Use youtube

This website has helped me so much. From learning how to focus recompose, to how to do things in Photoshop, to how to learn functions on my camera. Amazing. Try it. Type in what you want to learn and I guarantee there will be something in there. Its a perfect go to.

4. Make friends with (supportive) fellow photographers

When I first got into this business I was so naive. I had no idea how many mean and competitive photographers there were... that being said, for as many nasty ones I have found that there are twice as many awesome ones. I have a small group of fellow photographers that I personally know that I bounce things and ideas off of, possibly vent to, ask questions... I feel like with out them I'd be really defeated and lost. I think that it is so important to have someone who is in your same position, it gives you a sense of normalcy. Trust me, I really can't talk to my husband about back button focusing, a new action, or the dreamy 85mm 1.2 L lens that I want... he'd be so confused.

5. It's ok to say no....

.... to clients. Don't feel bad if you can't do a shoot. Im actually really being a hypocrite right now by saying this.... this year I really had a hard time saying no to clients. I could not say that I was too booked up. So I just started double booking and putting in clients on my days off. It is exhausting. I am exhausted. And I had to learn recently that it is ok to say "Im sorry, I'm booked for the rest of the year." I have to remember there is only one of me and I have to also be a fabulous wife, an awesome mom, a cool pet owner, a wannabe Kenyan runner and of course a domestic goddess.

6. Higher quality lenses make a difference

Ok so a lot of people would disagree with the statement above. There are a ton of people that say that the 50mm 1.8 or 1.4 is just as good as the 50mm 1.2, but I beg to differ. I had the 50 1.4 for an while then this last year I bought the 1.2 and oh my goodness, it is a fine piece of glass and I just absolutely love that lens. I also recently got the 24-70mm 2.8 II and good Lord that thing is amazing. I never had anything else, but I did use the Tamaron once and although it served its purpose, I must say hands down that the canon 24-70 was significantly better. Again this is just my opinion, and perhaps its because I'm not skilled enough with my camera, but man those high quality lenses are amazing.

7. Back up

When Sunday was about 1, I lost ALL my images when my computer crashed. This included her birth to 1 year old photos. This even includes some clients photos. I felt like Carrie Bradshaw when I told people what happened and people would always say "did you back up?" No unfortunately I didn't. I was devastated for weeks. Most recently a photographer friend of mine lost 10 family photo sessions. I felt like I was going to die and it wasn't even me. Now since my incident and hers I backup and am saving like its going out of style. Please friend, back up. Back up.

8. Don't compare yourself to others

In the beginning I used to go on all these fabulous photographers websites. I would lust at their images and what they could produce... after I was done looking I'd feel so depressed because I couldn't do that or I wasn't as good. It was such a defeating feeling. So I just stopped looking at other peoples work. Again you may disagree with me. I know a friend who finds it motivating, but I know for a large bulk of people it just makes you feel less. And that is not right. I said this quote last week on my facebook page- I will say it again "The only photographer you should compare yourself to is the photographer you used to be."

9. Shoot through your eyes not someone elses

This somewhat goes with the above... have you ever tried to copy someone's style of editing? Or even photographing? Then it just sort of feels wrong? That's because it is. I used to do that. Then I'd look at the image and think this isn't me. So now when I shoot or when I edit I do it to what I think looks good. What my taste is. Remember people like your work, because it is yours.

10. Remember your family

I struggled with this a lot this year. I felt like I spent a lot of time obsessing over editing or my camera or  facebooking.... it was a lot of wasted time that could and should have been spent with my husband or my kids. There were so many moments where I would say "just one more minute" and be on the computer while my kids would wait. Even moments of handing the ipad to my daughter so I could get some work done. When I was at my hight of photography obsessing (that is what I call it) I noticed that my kids were acting up and being really rude and mean to me. I realized its because so many times I was there with my kids, but not THERE with my kids. Kids thrive on interaction. They feel loved and special and it creates trust and bonding.... and a real relationship. Now I try to do all my work at night with an occasional 20 minute computer times in the middle of the day. I limit how much I work when I am with my kids and give them my full undivided attention. Remember that they grow fast and one day they won't need or want you anymore, so embrace this time. Work can wait....life can't.

So there you have it. I hope you will learn from my learning and I hope you enjoyed my 10 pieces of information.... take from it what you would like. And remember you rule. Always.

xo, C.

1 comment: